My 9yo son thought this was a great "potion".
- table salt, sugar or baking soda
- tap water
- food coloring
Creating the Crystals
- Pour water from the tap into a small pot.
- Choose one type of crystal (table salt, sugar or baking soda) Place the
pot with water on stove and start to heat. Add your choice of crystal.
Stir. Drop food coloring into the water. Heat the water to a gentle boil.
- Watch as the crystal disappears into the water. Add more. Stir.
- Keep adding your choice of crystal a little at a time until you see a
small amount left at the bottom of the saucepan.
- Carefully pour the crystal liquid into the jar. Place jar in a spot where
it won't be disturbed. (Use your oven mitts, the jar will be hot!) Let them
brew for a few days, you will see crystals growing along the sides and bottom
of the jar.